The Angelicum in Milan

The Angelicum, constructed between 1939 and 1942, was an important cultural center in Milan. Designed by Giovanni Muzio and managed by Father Enrico Zucca, the red brick structure was attached to a church and Franciscan monastery. The Angelicum Chamber Orchestra was organized in 1941, a recording studio began operation in 1948, and records were published under the Angelicum label. A three-manual Tamburini organ was installed below the auditorium stage in 1960. Besides concerts, the auditorium was also a popular venue for English-language films. Many of János Sebestyén's recordings for Vox, BAM, CBS, Ariston and Angelicum were made in the studio or auditorium, and all were engineered and produced by Thomas Gallia and Paul Déry.

The exterior photos shown above were taken in May 2003. On the left is a poster for a recital by Sebestyén in 1971. Below are photos taken outside the Angelicum: János Sebestyén before the entrance, 1968; Thomas Gallia and Paul Déry in conversation with conductor Aldo Ceccato, circa 1965.


The Angelicum logo in neon above the entrance.

Hungarian triumvirate: Thomas Gallia, Tibor Kelemen and Paul Déry, at play in the Angelicum Studio, 1968.


Further information can be found on the pages About This Site, Thomas Gallia and Discography • Part Two.

Photo Albums